- The Predators came out sluggish and sloppy in the first period. Eric Staal zinged a powerplay shot past Pekka in the closing minutes of the period to give Carolina the lead going into the first intermission.
- In the second period the Preds stepped up their possession time and more than doubled Carolina’s shots, but still plagued themselves with sloppy passes, turnovers and several missed opportunities to net the tying goal.
- Whatever Coach Laviolette said during the second intermission clearly worked, however, as Nashville exploded out of the gate for the third period, with Ryan Ellis kicking off the scoring by squeezing the puck in the tiniest of cracks between Cam Ward and the goalpost. Despite another powerplay goal allowed to Carolina, two more big goals from Josi and Fisher sealed the win for the Preds.
- Pekka Rinne made a crazy, blind, behind-the-back pad save while out of position and facing the wrong direction, because he is Pekka Rinne and he does not care about your conventional goaltending techniques. He later found himself behind the net during a shot when the puck made a weird bounce as he attempted to play it, but the shot went wide, presumably due to mental powers.
- Filip Forsberg just broke the franchise record for points by a rookie (37) with his assist on Fisher’s goal. It took Alexander Radulov 64 games to get 37 points. Forsberg has 38 points in 39 games.